Old 01-22-11, 05:30 PM
NorCalVelo

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7.2 FX, 1989 Trek 800 Antelope MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lurking Noob reveals himself...

Greetings Earthlings! Ooops, wrong forum...

I am a noobie; should that be capitalized? Anyway, my name is Doc and I have been observing your interaction for a few days now and decided to reveal myself and thank you for the advice that you may not have know you imparted. Thank you.

I just bought my first "new" bicycle since receiving a 1975 Schwinn Varsity for my 14th birthday in 1975. I had such a great time on that bike and rode it everywhere...until I got my drivers license. Well, times have changed and so have my values. I just sold the last petroleum powered vehicle I owned 2 days ago and purchased a Trek 7.2 FX yesterday. Go Green! Sustainable transportation!!!

Now, I live in the "upper" Napa Valley in California and deal with a few "moderate" hills in my daily commute. I have lurked around on some "other" forums and decided on the 7.2 FX to meet my current requirements; so don't get

In my lurking, I have found this forum to be quite informative and entertaining; all good points IMHO. I look forward to learning so much more in the coming years (not lurking, but participating).

At bit about me and my bike. I am a 49 year old, 6' CLYDESDALE (currently 255 lbs) who has been riding a 1994 17" frame Mongoose Switchback "The Beast" (been to Burning Man X2) for the last month. During which, I put 67 miles under my wheels and lost over 3" on my belly. Not to mention, nearly 12lbs of my frame.

I have to admit that I "LOVE" the 7.2 FX. Of course, I suppose I would love any bike after riding the "BEAST". So much faster, easier gear switching, higher gear ratio (I defeated the dreaded Deer Park Road hill; a 220ft ascent in less that a 1/2 mile, on my inaugural ride) and my riding position is much more comfortable. Additionally, I can add racks and panniers for the touring I wish to do with my 11 year old Step-Son.

Speaking of my Step-Son, he will be getting a new bike in the next week, so I would like your input. He is about 5'4" tall and growing. He has ample clearance stepping over the 17" Mongoose. His last bike, which he out grew very quickly, was a Trek Jet 20. I am looking at a Trek 820 or 3500 in an 18" - 19.5" frame. I'm not sure he is ready for a "road" bike just yet, but I want the purchase to satisfy our current, and potentially future, needs to do some touring. He and I love to camp and hike, so I'm looking for something <$500 that will do the job for the next 2-3 years.

Again, you are all great. Give yourselves a pat on the back for me.

Thanks,

Doc

Oh, here are some pics of my new ride....