Old 01-23-11, 07:22 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Wife having 2nd TKR tomorrow

Nora (73 yo) had a TKR - left knee - about 4 years ago. As previously discussed, she had a bad meniscus tear - the 2nd - on her right knee a couple of months ago. The tear is so bad that it cannot be treated with arthroscopy, and she is in pain from any type of walking.

After numerous consultations and checking around, we have chosen a surgeon who will be performing the surgery tomorrow, with check-in at 5:30 am and surgery at 7:30 am.

As she will need a great amount of support during the recovery period, I will be sticking around the house and keeping in shape by using the trainer inside the house (actually, we have two trainers inside the house - one in the family room and one in my basement gym - they make wonderful paper weights and conversation pieces). We are all set up with various support, toilet and other assistance devices.

Interestingly, after her first TKR, there was a great deal of discussion about whether or not bicycle riding was appropriate. One PT - who had asked several surgeons she worked with - said absolutely not. Nora's surgeon said "no restrictions." So, she rode her bicycle.

This time, on the well-done TKR info brochure, there is a picture of a lady riding a bicycle after her TKR. Times sure change.

Prayers and thoughts greatly appreciated. This has been our year of surgery - Andy, 17 days in the hospital to repair a broken femur that had been undiagnosed for 6 months - and our living in a ratty hole near the hospital for that time. Nora - sinus surgery. Me - L4/L5 fusion, and now this!!

Getting older takes courage. But, Nora should be back on the bicycle by Spring.