View Single Post
Old 01-23-11, 08:14 AM
bikenut2011
No, your OTHER left!!

Bikes: 2 motos and a schwinn (road bikes more or less)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alfred
I need to get on some bikes and see what works best. I'm not accustom to the metric measuring system they have so I really need to see them up close. I'm going to go to our local Schwinn shop and look at some to get a feel. Last time I was in there they only had maybe 2 bikes less than $1000 and they where both over $700. I can't bring myself to pay more for a bike than I did for my daily driver. I know in the long run the bike will pay for itself, but I still have to put up the money up front.

I have a 33 inch inseam. I guess I should probably start with a larger bike and work my way down till I feel comfortable. He also says he has some bikes in the works and after speaking with him a bit he seems like he's willing to help me get a bike set up if he doesn't already have something that works. I have probably a month before it's going to warm up enough to start riding. I used to ride year round but if I'm going to get back into it I need for it to be enjoyable for the first couple months. Then I'll be in good shape when the winter comes and the suffering begins.

Bear in mind that your local bike store will be selling "compact" frames in all likelihood, and the ones on the page you showed us were "traditional" geometry frames. So... you won't really be able to guage your fit on a traditional frame going by what the bike shop has. Just do some trial and error and ride some different sizes. If you have a true 33" standover, a 58cm traditional frame might be a very good fit for you. Good Luck!!

andy