View Single Post
Old 01-23-11, 02:16 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Great list! I'll be looking some of these up myself!

Originally Posted by BetweenRides
[Posted on forums.mtbr.com] I recently spent several weeks researching for a light in the $200-$300 range, hope this helps you out. I'm a road rider but do light trail / closed road riding in the fall at night. I was looking for a bar mount, as I don't use a helmet mount on our trails but I have a Fenix L2D for that purpose if needed. Here's my short list:

JET Light A-51: $200 ($274 with bar mount and Smart Charger), 720 lumens, 345 grams, 3hrs runtime on high, Waterproof connectors.

Lupine Piko3: $310, 550 lumens, 210 grams, 2.5hrs runtime. Beautiful little unit, unfortunately bar mount not yet available.

Trail LED 500L: $175, 550 lumens, 5 hrs runtime. Kinda ugly, but solid, good spot/flood combo, extended battery options (for a price).

Trail LED 4X: $300, 900 lumens, 4 hrs runtime, see above comments.

Trail LED Darkstar: $420, 1200 lumens, 375 grams, 3 hours runtime. See comments above, but this is probably the best bang for the buck light out there anywhere.

Dinote 400L: $229, 400 lumens, 340 grams, 5 hrs runtime. Helmet/bar mounts, 2 spare lenses included, outperformed by others in light/$, but a very nice high quality light set.

Baja Designs Strykr: $300 ($200 with trade-in), 700 lumens, 520 grams, 3 hours runtime. Helmet & bar mounts, 2 lenses included - spot/flood, waterproof, lifetime warranty on head unit, 1 year on battery. Bomb-proof.

Baja Designs Stryker Pro: $350 ($250 with trade-in), 700 lumens, 470 grams. Other features same as Strykr, but slightly smaller and designed more as a helmet unit.

Amoeba XP-G: $240, 600+ lumens, 159 grams, 3.5hrs runtime. Nice little DIY unit, incredibly small and light, extra/extended battery options. This would be the ideal helmet unit, but also a solid bar mount.

Niteflux Enduro 8: $270, 540 lumens, 486 grams, 3 hrs runtime. All Niteflux units are convertible to flashlights, extra batteries are cheap.

Light & Motion Stella 400: $300, 400 lumens, 313 grams, 2.5hrs runtime. Dual Spot/Flood, beautiful unit, but outperformed by competition in terms of runtime and output for price.

Last - check out Ayup lights: Beautiful, small and functional, I just couldn't figure out pricing and the options on the website, gave up. I suspect after you figure in exchange rates and shipping, $/lumen is too low, plus warranty - while excellent, has got to be a hassle without a US distributor.

Ultimately, I went with the Strykr - couldn't pass up the price/value. Very pleased with it so far, but there are some great options out there. MS900 was not on my short list - price is great but quality is extremely suspect and I prefer to buy for the long term.

There are numerous inexpensive tail lights out there for under $40. One of the best I have seen:

http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/lights

Good luck.
What was surprising to me, however, is that the lights I've been looking at myself didn't make the list!

Personally I've been most seriously looking at a Solstice Solo by XVision ($129USD and 900 lumans) and building my own battery pack. Rechargeable AAs should give a 4 hour run time and I already have a smart charger and lots of batteries.
That particular unit is currently being marketed for off-road use for motorcyclists and 4x machines and yacht lighting and is both solid and waterproof. A helmet and bar mount are available as options.

I'm really looking for something not just for a bike, but that I can use hiking, or back-country skiing or as a helmet mounted work light. The current unit I'm using is a 15 year old halogen helmet mounted light originally marketed for exploring caves. Technology is making everything cheaper - that unit was originally $100CDN but its been trouble free for this long and if whatever I replace it with gives me that kind of service I'll be a happy camper!

That Trail LED Darkstar looks really interesting but according to that link - is at least 4 weeks backordered! Patience may be a big factor here!

Thanks for the post!