View Single Post
Old 01-25-11, 12:11 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NeilGunton
Please forgive me if you already saw this, but there have been past threads on powering an iphone that might be useful - e.g.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ring-an-Iphone

I have found the E-Werk interesting - here's a review of that:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/revie...read_id=162525

The reviewer was using it with a sidewall dynamo, but it would work equally well, I think, with one of the hub dynamos. I find this very interesting, since in the past discussions about charging your gadgets from a dynamo have always seemed to end up with people talking about DIY solutions that involve wiring and learning about voltages and diodes (or whatever) which I have absolutely zero interest in spending time on. So something like the E-Werk, which sounds like a ready-made package that makes the world of charging from a dynamo much more "plug-and-play", is very attractive to someone like me.

You might reconsider looking at the dynamo hubs - from what I've heard, they really are very good. Never used one myself, but charging gadgets is such a hassle on tour that I may well try it out at some point.

Neil
The E-WERK, needs a "buffer battery" so with the hub or dynamo it works out to be quite expensive. It's nice that you're self contained, but you can pick up a 1st generation Hypermac mini for $50 and it'll charge your iPhone 6 times. As I tend to duck into a Motel about once a week it seems like the most convenient solution for my style of touring.

My lights run off AAA batteries which are easy to buy and I carry a spare set. My best bit of electronics is a small Sony radio which will run continuously for a week on a single AAA battery and provides lots of entertainment.