View Single Post
Old 01-25-11, 01:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by markf
A quart of MSR Super Fuel in the local climbing shop retails for a touch more than a gallon of Coleman fuel at the local Wal-Mart. Can somebody please explain that to me?

I agree, white gas/Coleman fuel/call it what you want is probably less aggravation than kerosene. But if the OP is happy with kerosene, who are we to complain?
The price difference is most likely attributable primarily to marketing. I am sure many people associate MSR with higher quality products and are willing to pay more. Indeed, read MSR's claims:

MSRŪ SuperFuel is the highest-performance white gas on the market, more refined and cleaner-burning than any comparable fuel and unmatched for reducing clogs and maintenance.
  • Superior Performance: Designed to improve stove performance, with fewer cleanings and less maintenance.
  • Clean-Burning: Tested to be 100% pure.
  • Reduced Clogging: No dyes or additives to solidify and cause clogs.
Made in USA

OP: I have found 32 oz. cans of Super Fuel in bike shops, outdoor stores and general sporting goods stores. There is a similar product called "Camp Fuel" that I have gotten in 32 oz. cans. I had one store offer to open a lgallon of Coleman Fuel for me and fill up my bottle for a charge, although I think this offer was extended, at least in part, because I was in an area popular with cycle tourists and backpackers. Only once have I felt concerned enough about my fuel supply to buy a gallon of Coleman Fuel. I filled up my bottle and left the rest at a campground for others.

And I think the points about availability (if you see kerosene in my neck of the woods it's only during winter) and having to fill up your stove and/or a fuel bottle using a gas station pump is a good one. The similar Coleman stoves we used were hard enough to fill from a fuel bottle using a funnel. There was frequent spillage in part because the tank opening is on an angle.

No complaints. Just my two cents.