View Single Post
Old 01-25-11, 01:21 PM
xyzzy834

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the ACA maps when I toured around Lake Erie. I found them to be of first class quality, both physically and content. I thought the route was well thought out and clearly chosen by a biker, probably even someone rather local to the area. The concise listing of campgrounds, food, libraries, and other attractions of particular interest to bikers was invaluable.

I've toured in places that aren't covered by ACA routes. I did a large amount of research about the route and points of interest to me and I got by just fine. I would have gladly paid the ACA for their maps of the routes if they existed. The ACA maps are much more compact and concise for the information I needed.

When I put a tour journal online, I asked the ACA for permission to use a couple of of their route synopsis thumbnails and it was granted promptly with enthusiasm. My personal experience with the ACA has been 100% positive.

Some of the discussion here reminds me of a useful, if apocryphal, story:

A couple drove up to tour an open house for sale. It was a nice Sunday afternoon and as they walked up to the house, they noticed an older gentleman sitting on the porch next door. Taking advantage of an opportunity, they strolled over to the gentleman and asked him about the nature of the people in the neighborhood. The old man looked at them and asked what the people were like in the couple's current neighborhood.

"Well," said the couple, "they're nosy, suspicious of other people's business, and generally rude. We can't wait to be rid of them."

The old man thought for a moment and said, "I think you'll find folks around here are pretty much the same."

The couple thanked him for the insight and promptly got in their car and left. A short time later another couple approached, inquiring about the same information. The old man asked the same question about the couple's current neighbors.

"Oh, we're so sad we have to leave our current neighbors," they said. "Our neighbors are kind, helpful, and most welcoming to us."

The old man took a deep breath and smiled. "I think you'll find folks around here are pretty much the same."