Old 01-26-11, 05:55 PM
Carley P.

Bikes: 2013 Niner EMD (29er), 2012 Motobecane New Fantom Cross (Cyclocross), Vintage Schwinn Voyegeur set up in city mode w/ wald basket (Commuting), and a nashbar road frame w/ Shimano 600 components (wife's bike).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I don't race or anything, (but still ride clipless), I wear shoes that are spd compatible but also have rubber on the bottom of them. That way, I can pedal without being clipped in without having the "slippery feet" problem. It helps a lot, and I can even walk in and out of stores without changing shoes.

For instance, if I'm riding on a lot of loose gravel or on a slippery area, I don't like to be clipped in because if my bike slides out from underneath of me I don't want to be attached to it. Since I can pedal without being clipped in, I'll just unclip myself, keep pedaling through the slipperiness, and then clip back in after I've passed the gravel/ice/whatever else is slippery.

In your situation, I would either do what Caloso said, or just start pedaling without being clipped in so if I start tipping over I can easily put a foot on the ground.

Also, (assuming there isn't any traffic), you could start by pedaling sideways on the hill, making the hill not a hill at all, and then after you've shifted down you could head uphill again.