Plutonix
Cyclologist

Bikes: Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akansaskid
UPS looked like $15 with no duties mentioned. The Post Office site quoted $5 if First Class instead of Priority, but mentioned in the fine print that $5 or $8 of duties would be collected coming into Canada.
You arent supposed to ship large Li Ions via USPS mail*. A lot of people do it but it there is a big poster at the local PO listing common items with restrictions, esp Air Mail. Also, technically since it is defective it is not eligible for Fed Ex or UPS shipping - one of them (Fed Ex, I think) had a string of several Li Ions go off a while ago that led to restrictions including the $25 or whatever it is HazMat fee.

Also, when you fill out the customs form, be sure to use the term "warranty repair" and zero value to avoid any duties or fees. A US source would be able to send out a pack with a prepaid return shipping sticker, I dont reckon it works pasting a CAN sticker on a US shipped item.

* It is possible that the restriction doesnt apply to Proirity Mail based on the 'if it fits it ships' slogan, but I doubt it. Here;s the actual restriction:

349.222 Secondary Lithium-ion (Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries

Secondary lithium-ion (rechargeable) cells and batteries are mailable via air or surface transportation when individual cells or batteries are mailed or when properly packed with or properly installed in the equipment they operate. Cells or batteries properly installed in the device they operate must be protected from damage and short circuit, and the device must be equipped with an effective means of preventing accidental activation. The outside of the package must be marked on the address side “Package Contains Lithium-ion Batteries (no lithium metal).” The mailpiece must not contain more than three batteries. Each cell must contain no more than 1.5 g of equivalent lithium content per cell, and each battery must contain no more than 8.0 g aggregate quantity of equivalent lithium content.
...and they prolly didnt have defective Li Ions in mind with that - there could be additional warnings/restrictions as there are for air transport - even though it may not be defective in a way that makes it unstable. I'd send it Priority and obfuscate the contents as 'warranty replacement fulfillment' or some such.

Let me get this straight, you used a Gemini battery pack with a Magicshine Light and a Magicshine charger?
They've made representations that it will work and is perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by Plutonix; 01-27-11 at 08:56 AM.