Old 05-31-05, 08:16 PM
jasugar

Bikes: just starting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just starting

I just discovered bike forums while searching on the net for info about biking after total hip replacement.

I'm a 51 y.o. physician (psychcoanalyst working with children/adolescents/adults) - looking at a total hip replacement on the right in August, after 2 yrs of difficult to diagnose thigh pain, first on both sides, then on the right - lots of pt, lots of continuing exercise. Started playing tennis at 45 - several injuries later (sprained ankle, torn calf muscles, wrenched neck) am now doing "endurance" training: including biking (mostly stationary, just starting on the road), swimming, and on the elliptical trainer. I hope to be able to compete, maybe, in aqua bike competitions about a year after surgery - involving a 1-2 mile swim and 50 - 100 mile bike ride.

I've many questions, how to think about biking and endurance training? How should I pose mself on a bike before and after the hip replacement? What sort of bike should I thnk about (I've a 20+ y.o. Fuji 12 speed in the garage and a 5 + yr. old Schwinn High Plains hybrid there, too)? etc, etc. The threads I've briefly looked at seem friendly and helpful, and I'm looking forward to reading, learning more, and participating.

Thank You all!

Jonathan

Ann Arbor, MI