Thread: Good bike racks
View Single Post
Old 06-01-05, 11:00 AM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... and I prefer the roof mount. Seems to me to be a cleaner place to transport the bikes (amazing how dirty the back of the car can get, though this may be offset by bug exposure if you live in a bug-rich area!). Also not sitting out there if you do ever get rear-ended (had that happen to a buddy of mine). If you do use a roof mounted carrier, always put your garage door opener in the glovebox/trunk/seat bag when you have the bikes on top - this will help stop you from driving the bikes into the top of the garage (had another buddy of mine destroy his bike doing that last year!!!).

There's really very little between Thule & Yakima. If you have a very curved roofline (e.g. VW beetle) the round bars of the Yakima are better than the square bars of the Thule (square bars don't sit flat on a curved roof, making it a little bit more difficult to mount the accessories). I bought Thule for the better mounting kit availability for cars in Europe and Australia (I want to be able to take the racks with me if/when I move in a couple of years).