Old 02-01-11, 01:39 PM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
If you can be more specific about what you want/need to do, we can really zero in on it.
A lot of us have upgraded older bikes to modern stuff, but there's a myriad of options.
Narrow it a bit and we'll give you more information than you'll ever need, some of it true.
Ha ha. Love it.

I've spent the last 15 years overclocking CPUs and overdriving ODD (the only difference is the firmware), taking crappy innards from [insert laptop brand here] and replacing with much better, up to date boards (many FrankenDells and FrankenPads), dumping old, inefficient Sybase / MSSQL installs for spiffy MySQL-- all sorts of doing more with less when it comes to PCs and periphials.

I never though it could be done with bikes. Not to this magnitude. What you guys have done and continue to do in the "old frames with STI's or Ergos" thread is a complete 180 degree turn around from what I thought was possible. I thought that simply putting this 7 sp where a 6 was was a decent hack. Oh. No. Grasshopper. The rice paper is sticky and darned if can even see that stupid pebble.

In some respects, putting a modern trans on an older bike (say pre 1989) is the ultimate overclock. This appeals to my my inner geek much greatly.

What I want to accomplish:
It looks like I may be due for an axle replacement. Thus, t's not a much a emotional / financial leap to just replace the entire hub. Thus, it's not a much a emotional / financial leap to just do as much as possible to bring the ride up to date-- "future proof" it a bit.