View Single Post
Old 02-02-11, 07:04 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
yeah, it's a rust "vein" likely to spread and become a rust 'spiderweb" cause the evil has already begun and that rust will suck in moisture (even in LA!) and grow...not a question of "if" just a question of how fast. Maybe very slowly if you live in the desert and keep it 100% dry and waxed. Up here in damper saltier climes, I would not wait. I'd cut open the vein with a knife or a needle, daub it really well with phosphoric acid (no, not oxalic acid for this) until rust was all gone, let it dry and touch up with hobby enamel or nail polish (lacquer), mixed to match as best you can.
I like this idea, but for the touch up I'd consider super glue (is it cyanoacrylic glue?). Capillary action pulls it really far into cracks, it sticks to everything, dries clear and waterproof. Dab it on, let the crack soak it in, then wipe away excess before it dries.