Old 02-04-11, 04:16 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabong30
Hey guys and gals, I'm new and I'm about to buy a bike. I'm probably every bit of 400-420 pounds and I'm torn between getting the Trek Navigator 1.0 (which I was totally sold on the other day at my LBS) and the Trek 820 (which is what I wanted when I walked in the door). The guys at the shop were super helpful and suggested the Navigator over the 820 since I'll be doing primarily street riding and that bike has a cushier saddle and street tires. My concern is the Aluminum frame over the steel of the 820. I've tried to search through some old threads, etc, but I'm still very up in the air over it. They both cost close enough to the same that the money is not the concern. And if there is a better alternative in the $400 range I'd be open to hearing that too! Anyway, thanks in advance for any help in making this decision!

Kabong

I think regulars are getting tired of me saying this, but the three most important factors on a bicycle purchase are:

1) fit
2) fit
3) did I say fit yet....

Don't worry about frame materials, Aluminium, Titanium, Steel and Carbon Fibre reinforced plastic are all different, the major point in frame strength is what the engineer sitting in front of the CAD machine puts in for maximum load weight. I think for a bike like the Navigators they put in about 500lbs. The last thing you worry about is the saddle, because every butt is different, and it's probably the first part you upgrade, second is likely the tires. Another thing is this is your FIRST bicycle, not your last bicycle, as you ride more and decide what kind of cycling you want to do, you will move to other bicycles. For more cycling flexibility if you can squeeze another $50 or so out of the budget the Navigator 2.0 has a triple crank, rather then the single crank of the Navigator 1.0.

see this is not your last bike, it's your first bike and the Navigator is a pretty good place to s