Old 02-04-11, 10:21 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_C
For perspective? Not suggesting this bike, simply showing you what I did?

I bought my bike at 378lbs just before my left knee was replaced. It is a Giant Suede DX (year 2010). In the first 650+ miles I replaced the seat, and the rear wheel began popping spokes - the LBS changed both wheels for 36 spoke wheels which haven't had any issues since. While it is a 'comfort' bike, with a suspension fork, I have ridden it up to 42 miles on a ride, and my normal run is bout 28 miles. The suspension fork is the only part I wish I did not have - not because it doesn't work, or because it bottoms out - it works fine at my weight - but I can feel the loss of energy when I crank hard.

My only suggestions for you?

Ride many bikes. Buy the bike that fits you today, rather than the bike you hope or plan to grow into. The goal is to get a bike that maes you want to ride smply by looking at it~! If you out grow the bike, that'll be nothing new, but if you buy a bike that you're simply not ready for - you won't ride it a month from now.

My comfort bike is very comfortable til bout 25+ miles, then start to get sore.

Hope this helps...
As I told the OP, the bike he buys now is his FIRST bike, not his last bike, I think your getting near graduation point, you need something more roadish.... That does not have to be a new bike, there are lots of pre-owned, low mileage bicycles, that are hiding in cellars and garages all over the land.