View Single Post
Old 02-05-11, 09:17 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I got started hiking when we lived in Colorado. I was hiking up the lower part of the Longs Peak trail, which is just an uphill trail through the woods in that part. I was huffing and puffing when this fat lady passed me by. It didn't bother me to get passed by a fat lady, but what bothered me was that she didn't seem to be breathing hard, either. And no, she didn't have electric legs.

Then on another hike, I huffed and puffed for 4 hours hiking to the top of Round Mountain. I got up there, and there was a bunch of old white-haired people that looked like they were right out of the nursing home. Sheesh. (Estes Park is a few miles on up the road, is a popular retirement area, and those folks don't all just sit around in their rockers!)

Then I hiked up Greys and Torreys Peaks. And got passed by a kid and his dad. That kid was 11, I think.

Anyway, the sum of it is, I learned humility long ago, and those basic trends carry over into the cycling world, too. So I do what I can, and if somebody else can do better, it's not too surprising, but not going to keep me from trying, either.