Old 06-02-05, 08:43 AM
eff-J
Man About Town

Bikes: '04 Dahon Speed P8; '01(?) Specialized Crossroads A1 Sport; '83 Peugeot P6 frankensteined refurb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it was I test rode, because looking at the P8 online, it doesn't have white paint like the one I tried. '04 model, perhaps?
Yeah, the '04 P8s were white. That's what I've got. Shows mud real easy, but shore looks purty when she's clean! (The fitness store website incorrectly shows the model as a "Speed 8", by the way.)

Personally, I'd recommend going with your LBS if they have 'em. Yeah, you'll pay retail, plus sales tax, but they'll usually throw in the set-up for free. And sometimes they'll toss in another tune-up in six months or so, once it's "broken in". But moreover, you'll have a shop that you have a relationship with, which can be important (although not quite as much as if you plan on doing all your maintenance yourself). Plus, it encourages bricks & mortar stores to stock Dahons, which is good for all of us.

That said, you might want to check out Better Bicycle Company. All they do is sell Dahons. No camping gear, no airplane parts, not even any other bikes. They're not as cheap, but they do have free shipping, no sales tax, and they do the tune-up for free prior to shipping, which is worth some $$$ right there.