Old 02-08-11, 03:36 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by twobadfish
You are silly if you think riding a bike somehow gives you more freedom than driving a car. Delusional, actually. You are restricted by speed, range, weather conditions, and comfort. You have to obey all the same traffic laws so what exactly is so freeing about riding a bicycle that is more "freeing" than driving a car?
I am pretty silly indeed, but I never stated that bike riding somehow affords more freedom than driving a car. We all have to give up a little freedom to get along. I hate waiting at red lights because they reduce my freedom to proceed; but considering the alternative, giving up a little freedom is a terrific idea.

I absolutely agree with you and I get a little frustrated when I see riders like those in the video, (and also especially the sportbike-motorcycle "stuntah" videos) who find elation in completely ignoring society's rules. What's the difference between these fixie clods in the video and the lowered car thugs who get together for competitive vehicular parkour?

We cyclists stand to lose the most if things devolve to a Mad Max, post-apolocyptic scenario. I'll have to go back and watch those movies now, because I'm pretty sure bicyclists were extinct in that environment.