Old 02-08-11, 05:54 PM
Ironhand

Bikes: Trek SU200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Nashville!!

Greetings! After many years of not owning or riding bikes, I'm getting back into the sport. I'm going to be 40 in a few weeks, and let's just say I'm not getting any thinner. I was a long-haul truck driver up until last fall, when I decided to go back to college. Lots of life-changes recently, and my health was something I wanted to gain more control of. I seem to be what is known as a "Clydesdale" around here.... Hmmmph..

The bikes I've owned over the years is rather short. After a summer of mowing lawns when I was a kid I bought a Ross Mt. Washington mountain bike. Big, heavy, 12 speeds.. It was light-years above the K-Mart 10-speed I'd ridden into the ground a few months before. 5 years ago I bought a 1993-94 Giant Perigee road bike from someone on CL for $60. I had to replace the tubes but otherwise I rode it whenever I could. I took it in the truck with me and would ride it if I had some time to kill at a delivery. As big as I am, 6ft 1in, 300lbs, I was never really comfortable on those skinny tires, and still am not. This is a shame, as I LOVE road bikes!!

Today I bought a 2007 Trek SU200 from a CL ad, and I'm pretty psyched! The bike's definitely been ridden, as there is a little rust on the inside of the front derailleur, as well as a bit of mud on the frame. From what I can tell, the derailleurs need to be adjusted a little bit and the left grip is a bit squishy, but that's it. I bought the 19.5" frame, which I thought at first would be too short, but the bike fits me just fine. I eventually want to put a set of rear racks and fenders on it and make it my commuter to school. Any recommendations on good brands or models?

My short-term goals are to ride this bike and build up my cardio, which is sorely lacking. As I get in better shape I'd like to try some medium-distance touring, as well. Anyway, I am glad I found this forum!!