Old 09-28-02, 10:29 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I assume you are speaking of a 2002. Well here is what I would say. It has barely entry level drive train. You could spend some money to upgrade this. This will be very noticable in the shifting department. Tires are another upgrade that is usually most noticed.

Another part to look at would be the fork. It is a low end RST with 3 inches of travel is my math is right. (I think 2.5) You could go to a 4 inch travel fork and see signifigant differences in you ride. This will mess the geomtry up a bit but it would be fine if you aren't a long distance rider. Either that or stick to a 3 and upgrade to a rock shox. These will still be reasonable price wise but will save weight and be a MUCH MUCH better ride.

Right now you have an 8spd cassette. It will be difficult to find parts but no impossible. You could upgrade to a 9spd hub. (There may be adapters but upgrading the hub will also flow into the next suggestion)

RIMS!!!...the ones you have blow...if you do decide to upgrade the rear hub to get a 9spd cassette get a new rim. You can save a tonne of weight by doing a small upgrade to a lighter and more durable xc rim which will be built onto your new hub.

These upgrades will save weight, improve the ride and let you keep the bike you like.

This is a worthwhile bike to spend a little extra money on. Either way everything you buy can then be moved onto a better frame if you are so inclined later.

In this order I would

1 - upgrade rear wheel set which would then require a new rear deraileur and a new shifter. Deore or LX level for lighter weight and better performance (right now you have lowest level for a mtb)
2 - fork
3 - tires (cheap upgrade so may move up the list depending on your own financial situation)

Cheers and have fun riding

Last edited by Maelstrom; 09-28-02 at 10:31 PM.