View Single Post
Old 02-09-11, 08:06 PM
Feral Slug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Atlanta!

Technically, I don't live in Atlanta, but it's only a 45 minute drive with traffic included, so I'm close enough. Anyway, I'm 16 (That might be a bit young here, but I'm on a Hot Wheels collector forum with a bunch of retirees, so if it is, that's alright with me) and I only recently got into bikes, but I absolutely love them. All I know about mine is that it's a Schwinn, it's a mountain bike, and it's blue. I bought it used and the guy who sold it didn't know the model name or anything, and since it says a million different things on the frame, it's hard to tell. I also don't even know how many gears it has, because I got in a nasty crash when I was throwing a Frisbee back and forth with my friend out of boredom, and I didn't notice the speed bump in front of me until it was too late to grab the handles again... My ankle got stabbed by one of the gears and held there, so when the bike went down I got jerked around with it, so the handlebars twisted sideways and scraped the labels right off of my gear changer thingies. Since then I forgot how many there are and haven't been bothered to count them. I have an old picture of it here in case anyone can identify it and/or give feedback:

And that's the only one I've ever bothered to take. Since then I replaced the little baggie with a full rack thing and bought a cheap speedometer. The rack was wobbling too much so I took some robot parts from my engineering class and used them along with some screws and zip-ties to hold it down. It's the weirdest repair ever, but it cost me nothing and is super effective. Anyway, I usually ride about three and a half miles to and from Walmart once a weekend with my friend, but there are also two great trails I go to every now and then. One is mostly dirt and it's incredibly fast with the occasional mound that I can catch air off of if I want to, and the other is all pavement and reminds me of Fujimi Kaido in Forza Motorsport 3, if you've ever played that and know what I'm talking about. Just a lot of twists and steep hills, beautiful scenery, and the occasional deadly drop-off. The only other thing I want to talk about is my standpoint on the annoying drivers vs riders controversy. It's always either stupid drivers annoying cyclists or stupid riders causing congestion. But I love cars just as much as I love bikes, and I have to say the cyclists are right- cars cause the most problems. I've had a truck pass so close to me that the wing mirror clipped my shoulder a little bit. Most people move over and slow down, but there are plenty of stupid drivers out there that just don't understand that bikes used roads long before cars even existed, so they certainly have a right to use them.
And now, before I go off typing random stuff for another hour, I'll stop myself. Hopefully this will be a cool forum to hang around, and I look forward to it.