View Single Post
Old 06-02-05, 05:15 PM
ramiso
Coming back with vengence

Bikes: Univega Gran Rally Frame is Lawee Design Cromalloy?, I also have an old Steel frame Schwin ten speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
I am trying to build raw power for sprint and short climbs that are the major limiting factor for me now. Since I did not have a full off season weight room time I am missing that important component. I do not know if this is right but it seems if I add weight lifting at least once per week and maybe two, the same day as intervals or the day before a rest day the improvement will be faster. I am still a little confused about the whole weight training vs hill repeats, etc for power.
You are a prime canidate for SCT or Static Contraction strenght training. You are looking for "Alpha" strength that will give help you in your limited area as stated above. The other reason why you are perfect for this system is because of the time issue. With SCT you will workout no more than twice a week and this will be only in the beginning.

I might get a little preachy here but just bare with me I am passionate about this topic ;-). There is no need to make this complicated and do not allow gymlore to be taken as physiological fact. As with any athlete your biggest concern is injury which will prevent you from doing what you do, in this case cycling.

Here is the deal. You first have to understand that strenth and muscles do not increase in the gym only the stimulation to demand more muscle fibers to compensate for the workout you just did takes place in the gym. Muscle and strength increase take place out of the gym and only during your recovery time. This is the first and formost dynamic that you need to understand. Recovery is where you grow that needed muscle fiber and strenth.

Your workouts will consist of no more than 10 to 12 exercizes that are broken up in to two routines called 'A' workout and 'B' workout. At first it will be no less than seven days your first 'A' work out to the next 'A' workout and the same with your 'B' workout. The recovery time between workouts will increase as you progress in this system. Now comes the mind blower...

The total time for the 'A' and 'B' workouts will blow your mind because you are doing max 5 second holds in your strongest range of motion. That means the time to set up the weights either at your local gym, or if you are like me and have the set up at home, will take more time than the actual workouts themselves.! My 'A' and 'B' workouts are no longer than 15 minutes of course including the time to set up and record results! That is no more than 60 minutes in a given month and my results are awesome.

The actual time for the workout its self either 'A' or 'B' is 25 seonds repspectively. This system is also the most safe and sane method to workout. Because you are working in your strongest range of motions the risks of injury are minimal.

Here are the mechanics behind the sytems. let's say that you have a big rock that is 200lbs and you need to move it 12 inches. Now you have a rock that weighs 400lbs and you need to move it 6 inches. Now you have a rock that weights 600lbs and you need to move it only move it 3 inches. The same amount of energy to move the 200lbs rock 12 inches is the same as the 600lbs being moved only 3 inches. Now I know that this is a crude way of explaining this system but it goes the same for weight lifting.

If you can bench press 200lbs using full range of motion then take that full range of motioin and limit it down to the last inches in your strongest range of motion and you will be able to lift incredible iron and gain some serious strength and muscle to do so.

Take a look at this system and judge for your self. You can private message me for the infomation and I will be glad to send you that information...

Dan.

Last edited by ramiso; 06-03-05 at 10:19 AM.