View Single Post
Old 02-11-11, 02:58 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by outwest5
The bike has a ticking sounds louder than what I am used to. Why is that?
Carbon fiber frames amplify noises to a much greater extent than steel frames. The clicking is probably just dirt in the pedal bearings, and it can get maddening, but such are carbon fiber frames.

Back in 2000, when I was racing, I got a pro deal on a Trek 5200. This was the Ultegra version of the 5500, which was Dura Ace. If you bought just the frame by itself, it would have 5500 decals on it.

So I just replaced most of the Ultegra components with Campagnolo, which work better anyway, and peeled off the 5200 label. The frames were identical, so what difference would it make what the frame said?

I have no idea what a Felt ZW4 or 6 are, and I bet most other cyclists don't either, nor do they care. The frames appear to be identical except for fork, paint, and stickers. If you're concerned about the fork, you can always replace it, and it doesn't even have to be a Felt fork. You can have a bike that nobody else has! My bikes are all in a constant state of upgrade; nothing is forever on a bike. The only important thing is if you are enjoying riding it.

If you are new to cycling, and you really get into it, you will find that this will not be your last bike. For most cyclists, it takes till about the fourth,fifth, or sixth bike before they find what really works for them. In my 40 years of cycling, I have tried to list all the bikes I have ever owned. I stopped counting somewhere in the 20's... Right now, the bike I'm really, really happy with is a modest steel fixie with couplers for travelling.

L.