Old 02-12-11, 10:31 AM
Lana123
Lana123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gaspe - circle of outer end July 2011

My husband and I are planning to tour a circle route of the outer part of the Gaspe peninsula this coming July. A lot of posts seem to assume that travel will be by train but we are driving up from the Boston area and figure to find a friendly hotel in St. Anne des Monts that will let us leave our car for a week. (recommendations?) Then we figure to take Route 132 heading east and follow the coast and then head back to the car on Route 299 leaving the hills for last. My questions are: 1. Is clockwise the best direction given the winds there? 2. What is the condition of the road on Rt. 299? 3. I see others posting that one can camp on the river bank and that there isn't anything on Rt 299, but it seem that if one starts at the southern end one day one can make it to the campground in the park at Gite du Mont Albert, about 62 miles. Not that I am adverse to the riverbank but just curious. 4. Are there bears and are they dangerous? I assume not on the inhabited coast but what about on that stretch through the woods? 5. Any particular recommendations for stops? Thanks.