View Single Post
Old 02-12-11, 03:36 PM
Tony N.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadlay
I think my understanding of how to change gears for climbing or decending is not right.

I have 21 speed bike 3 Cogs on the front and 7 on the back.

What is the proper setup for going uphill?

Currently I use my First gear in front and 4-5-6 in the back for flat to semi hilly roadways. On longer climbs over 1/4 a mile I am dropping my front gear into 2 and dropping my back gear into 1-2-3-4. I met up with a cylist who was on this route I made and he told me I might be going about my climbs the wrong way.

Could anyone explain to me or impart to me the common ideas/practices for proper gear shifting?

Thanks in advance.
You could be correct. I'm thinking your bike has the gears numberd at the shifter. If that is where you are getting your numbers then you are probably correct. I would think you could use any and all of the rear gears with the middle front chainring which is your 2. Use the largest rear gears with the smallest front chainring which is your number 1 as the hill increases in length or steepness. As the hill climaxes or becomes easier, you can move up on the numbers 1-7. Use the gear combination that will allow you to spin about 60 revs per min. The largest chainring, your number 3 should be used mostly for very flat to downhill riding still keeping your cadence above 60 unless you have reached the speed you wish to be at and of course then coast.
Hope this helps.