View Single Post
Old 09-29-02, 06:59 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those parents are just plain stupid and clueless- like many clueless parents, they expect you to inconvencience yourself for their kids. I personally would have gone up to them and told them that cyclists come here to train and that it may not be safe for very young kids. Let them protest all they want, it's not your responsibility, their kids' safety is their responsibility.

I see this same thing happen on bike paths- parents teaching their kids to ride bikes with training wheels, oblivious to the dangers. Kids are so unpredictable, wobbling along on their teeny tiny bikes, and many of them simply do not look around. It's not their fault, they're little kids, but it makes it so hazardous. Or I see parents standing on ice side of the path, gesturing to their kid to cross the path on their bike, but not seeming to tell them to look first. And they think I can just screech to a halt? I'm not on bike paths very often, but kids are definitely one of the hazards. What amazes me is how parents today are so overprotective they won't let their kids go on a bike ride alone, but when they do go with them they don't seem to teach them about safety.