View Single Post
Old 02-17-11, 04:09 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
For your requirements, I would strongly suggest you save up a bit and go for quality which is more important in folders than big-wheelers. Folding bike joints suffer lots of stress and there is loads of "anecdotal" evidence that frame hinges will loosen up over time making the bike useless. I would try and avoid aluminium bikes with frame joints. IMHO they don't have the legs for long time heavy duty use.

If I were you I would place a Brompton top on my list and find a way to fit discs or hub brakes. Bromptons are pretty reasonable in price for the base models and I assume that the lack of wide gearing will not be a problem for you, given your experience. BF are of course good too, but have not as nice a fold, though I have no personal experience with them.

A Brompton S2L has 2 speeds, and if you fit a Schlumpf Speed Drive (perhaps Bruce could source one) you would end up with wide gearing. On my Birdy I find I am using 2 cassette cogs most of the time, and the Schlumpf up front. The cassette cogs are spaced about 10% in gear ratio.