Old 02-18-11, 03:32 AM
timmythology

Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kinda long personal question

So in 2005 I was given a Raleigh M80 MTB "bike", and it was my only bike until 2009. That is when the best wife in the world worked me into a road bike. I have used bike primarily for commuting, errands, and recreational rides up to 65 miles. I used to especially enjoy riding it around because it was converted to an upright ride. Recently I have enjoined riding it less for several reasons. Besides the old suspension fork, or the up right ride position is the heel strike issue with panniers. So now i have come to my first bike delimma, which is n+1, or re-outfit bike for another purpose.

First I am truly tried of lugging a suspension fork around, and I have started to like overnight bike trips, my next trip being on spring break . So i have thought about changing forks. If I change forks I need to get it new so it is has an uncut stem. Which would than create a change of handlebars, and so on with that process of change. Since I would convert it over to a drop bar bike.

Second, I am hesitating because bike has heel strike--very pronounced on the left side--especially if I am loaded for an overnight trip. Which also introduces my short chubby legs, and wanting a step through tour/trekking bike, so that I don't have to stand on something to get my leg over the rear when loaded. With the issue of step over, and heel strike with my frame I am considering putting bike out to pasture and getting a new frame to build up.

Which means moving on from bike. He has already been moved to the basement since I am just doing recreational rides at this point. I am bored using my road bike "zippy" for commuting, errands, and running around town. An obvious reason is security differences, zippy is never out of my site, which removes errands, school, running around as options for his use. So I like having a city bike, that I can just lock and go with. Like Bike!

So NOW I am thinking about just giving up with refitting Bike, and replacing him with a new touring bike. Which is not going to be an easy sell to the best wife ever, since she still scratches her head that I don't just ride zippy. So than to make it more practical I would have to pick up a frame, and part down Bike, to make a new bike. I learned with zippy that buying a bike is not always the best for me personally. While I currently know squat about bike mechanics, I can learn some to reduce the labor cost.

So trying to figure out if I should just refit the old, or try and find the new?

Thanks