Old 02-18-11, 02:50 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are a roadie and used to clipless pedals and understand how they work, no sense not adding them to the MTBike. Just know that generally on a MTBike you want some sort of platform. I use TIME pedals - a platform model on the MTBike and and a smaller style on
the road bike(s) but same cleat system. I can't imagine your first few MTB rides will be gnarly and dangerous so using and getting use to using clipless pedals should not be a problem.

Many riders start out on a Hardrock. It's a good "everything" bike. Just know that it's a minimal travel bike so don't expect to be doing any freeriding with the bike. It would be a good idea just to educate and understand what it means to ride with a suspension folk (versus a full suspension or rigid bike) and read up on some skills like how to climb, descend and go over obstacles. Mountain bikling is not like road riding. I do both and find them way different. MTBing is all about slow, control, steady pedal strokes, positioning to and back on the saddle, light touch on the handlebar. On a road bike you basically get into a position and stay there. With a mountain bike you will be using every inch of the saddle and then some.

I am a roadie that got into mountain biking. I now think I am a mountain biker that still like to do road. You may get hooked and then that little ole Hardrock will hardly do ya and you'll want a Full Stump FSR.

Have fun; good luck!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.