View Single Post
Old 02-19-11, 09:34 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>>>If they want cyclists to take these laws seriously they need to revise them to reflect real world cycling use in the city.<<<<<

As a Long Islander who has only cycled in Midtown maybe half a dozen times, I don't suppose I'm really qualified to opine on how realistic NYC's bike laws are. However, in general, it seems that cyclists everywhere constantly complain that they are not taken seriously, yet continue to blow through STOP signs and red lights, ride against traffic, and treat most of the other vehicle laws as if they are optional for cyclists.

I know I'm not the first person to point this out; and I know I'm not going to change anybody's attitude by saying it, but I think that if we're going to let the city spend all kinds of tax dollars passing laws for cars, bikes, and pedestrians, we should either be there to argue how dopey and impractical they are WHILE they're being debated - OR we should just shut up and pay the fines when we break the laws.

Nothing personal, Pitbrit. I'd be pretty pissed, too, for being singled out for an offense I didn't even know was on the books. And if I were the cop, I'd probably just issue a warning. Still, he had a right to ticket you -- and you have a right to let your voice be heard about how ridiculous you think the law is. Personally, I think bike bells are totally ineffective.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 02-19-11 at 09:38 PM.