Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The short answer is - you don`t!

Originally Posted by Ciufalon
I am putting some new brake pads/holders on a bike and when I just put them in and try to line them up the toeing is opposite of what it should be. There is no way to adjust this so I need to bend the post of the pad holders. Can anyone explain exactly how to bend the posts? I do not have vice. Just vice grips, pliers, wrenches, and so on. Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.
In fact you shouldn`t have to bend ANY breakpad!

But in your case the swivil movement should be built into the brake pad mounting mechanism. The fasteners need to be loosened before anything can be shifted.

Cantis can be a little frustrating to adjust correctly because both the distance to the rim and the brake pad angles are controlled by the one fastening mechanism.

Personally I find the best strategy is to tighten the brake cable using the adjuster at the handlebars lever to bring the brakes into a `closed` position where the pads will contact the rim and reset the adjuster once the brake pads have been positioned.

If you insist on toeing in the pads, a business card under one end of the pad will give the right spacing.

If you havent already picked up a repair manual - I suggest you buy one. It`ll simply your like a lot and the damage it might prevent will probably pay for the book quite quickly.

Last edited by Burton; 02-20-11 at 10:34 PM.