Old 02-21-11, 09:10 AM
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Having done rides in similar conditions--the ride up is not the issue. It's the descent in those conditions that can easily put you in your grave. Thank goodness the roads didn't get too slick right off the start on the descent.

Quite often the enthusiasm to get back out on the bike can outweigh all reasoning! Next time trust the weather forecast!
Sometimes we also make mistakes in judgement when we go on trips like that alone. I probably would have turned around at the first sign of snow. If it gets too rough I just head for the nearest place where I can stop and take cover. Snow squalls can be nasty and there's no good reason to be out there when you don't have to be. A friend of mine attempted a descent in poor conditions and was lucky to get away with just cuts and abrasions.

That being said, something that I wouldn't do on a bike is different from something that I would do while skiing. I think it all comes down to what we have experienced and what the consequences are from doing these things.

I'm glad the OP made it back safely but like I said before, sometimes the kid in us just won't give up.