Thread: Chain ???
View Single Post
Old 02-22-11, 02:58 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Chain ???

I'm rebuilding my 1989 bridgestone Comp MB2 that I bought new and basically just rode around the streets. I quit riding and my son had it for a few years, now I have it back. The bike has very low hours on it but it was ridden hard in the dirt a few times when he had it.
A few things were changed, but nothing major - just tires and the chain. When I got it back, the original chain was with it. I want to clean up and re-use the original chain (which is not even dirty). I counted the links - the link pin that was pushed to break it is still in place in the side plate - and it has 106. That seemed low, so I checked the replacement chain, and it had 108. That made me feel better, so now I think the 106 is right. Does this sound right to y'all?
I guess I'll try it when I get to that point. What's the worst that can happen? It won't make the big/big combo, and that is defintely not a problem. But if no links have been removed, and I don't think they have, it should work as well as it did in 1989. The cogs and rings show no sign of wear from a stretched/worn chain. The rear cogs don't even have to be cleaned.