Old 02-22-11, 10:12 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Advice on Building Wheels for "Touring" 29er?

I want to do a tour on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. I've decided I want to do it on a 29er (it's an excuse to build a new bike, right?) I ordered a 29er frame from Performance for $99 (hard to pass up) and I'm going to take a year or more to build it up.

I'll be carrying camping gear, clothes, etc. I want strong wheels - especially in the rear. I've had problems breaking spokes on a road touring bike before and it's a drag. It would be worse on this route where I could be a few days' ride from civilization.

I've done a little research on the internet. Leonard Zinn recommends 36-spoke wheels on a 29er for big guys. I'm 6'4" and weigh 200 lbs. so I qualify. He mentions Mavic 719 rims.

I've looked for 36-spoke 29er wheels available for purchase and I'm not having much luck. So I got to thinking, why don't I just build them myself? I built the wheels on my latest tourer (using Mavic 719's) and I've taken them on 3 multi-week tours with a big load and haven't broken a spoke.

I'd appreciate any advice on this topic. Can I use the same rims as I'd use for my 700 road wheels? What are some good hubs? I want disc brakes. What size spokes do you use for discs?

While I'm on the subject, do you have any suggestions for tires? I want knobbies, but with excellent flat protection.

You can probably guess that light weight isn't a priority. Durability is the most important thing. I'd like to have a trouble free tour and not get stuck in the middle of nowhere in the woods with a catastrophic failure. I'll be carrying plenty of weight, so a few extra ounces in a wheelset isn't going to make much of a difference.

Thanks in advance!