Old 02-23-11, 06:28 PM
UniGeezer
Not "2" Tired

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
NEW RECORD FARGO STREET HILL CLIMB!!!!On a UNICYCLE!

SUCCESS!!!

Today I decided to make another attempt at the monster of all climbs: Fargo Street in Los Angeles. It's 33% grade makes it one of the 3 steepest streets in the US! I had doubts since I couldn't seem to get more than about 300 of the 530 total feet. But having just turned 55 in January, I knew it was now or never for this challenge!

That last half is a killer and it's where most fail. With my friend Steve's encouragement, I set out to conquer Fargo...for the first time ever! I had come close in mid/late 2009 when I tried it last, but I lost momentum and fell off. I mounted again and finished, and although it wasn't a successful climb, I was proud of my "almost" attempt.

Today I gave it all I had, to the point where my max heart rate went *beyond* the 165bpm I had figured as my max, to a chest pounding 171! And I had already maxed out by the HALFWAY point!

I could barely breathe and my lungs were burning so bad I thought they would explode! When I heard Steve shout out, "20 feet left" (He later admitted it was really more like 40 haha) I felt a rush of adrenaline that pushed me over the top!

I made it to the top of Fargo in 3:02, and it was the greatest feeling! I had originally thought that going with a 20" wheel would be easier, lighter, and turn much easier. I made the decision to stick with my kh 24, with a lighter road tire. It paid off! If I never do it again, at least now I can say, I DID IT!