Old 02-23-11, 11:49 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by adam_mac84
I guess the other question is were there 130mm shimano 600's? My googling hasn't exactly turned much up
Yeah, 600-Ultegra FH-6402 was 8-spd with 130mm spacing. Though, they didn't get the cool conical locknut that Dura-ace had to help spread out 126mm rear-ends to 130mm.

Don't bother with measuring non-driveside stuff. I have 126mm and 130mm 8-spd cassette rear-wheels that shift identically to another 130mm 8-spd wheel with freewheel. Also some 126mm wheels with 7-spd freewheels with 8-spd spacing that shifts cleanly as well. Here's the bottom line:

1. make sure the c-t-c spacing on your cogs are exactly the same. I have a mix of Shimano and Campy 8-spd cassettes, Sachs 8-spd, Suntour 8-spd and Dura-ace 7-spd freewheels. All the cogs have been spaced to exactly 3.0mm c-t-c by grinding spacers and/or shimming with 0.1mm stock.

2. make sure the 1st cog is exactly the same distance away from the dropout face. Easiest to measure with the wheel mounted and I use calipers to measure. On my wheels, I use 3.5mm gap between cog and dropout since that's the smallest I can go before the chain rubs the dropout (for minimal dish). I adjust this gap by juggling axle-washers between the two sides. Sometimes, I have to custom mill a washer to just the right fractional-mm thickness.

So really, it doesn't matter what your dropout spacing is on your wheels or the number of speeds. Imagine the cogs floating in between your dropouts. As long as they are in the exact same location on all your wheels, they will shift identically.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 02-23-11 at 11:55 PM.