View Single Post
Old 02-25-11, 04:03 PM
sierrabob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
No way, man. Garmin 305 FOrerunner + cadence/speed sensor for far superior data management, AND you can use it for running AND you get robust GPS integration, AND it costs less.
Well, maybe you won't drool too much. But keep in mind the Sigma ROX 9.0 has barometric altimetry, not GPS elevation. It reads slope continuously with better accuracy and fewer errors than a GPS based system. You may not agree, but GPS computes position far better than elevation. In the aviation business, we seldom use GPS altitude, but always use baro.

Also, a droid phone with voice nav capability (using OsmAnd) is very addicting. You plot a route, plug in the headphones, turn on the music then mindlessly ride without thinking about how far you're riding.

If I become totally obsessive, I can compare GPS elevation gain with the GPX route I record with the phone to the Sigma barometric elevation gain after a long ride.

Although you can't run with the ROX 9.0, you can use a smart phone for running now with the available arm strap.

But how much data do we really need?