Thread: Birdy thread
View Single Post
Old 02-27-11, 08:35 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
A couple weeks ago in my "funny story" post, I described how the local bike impound lot lost my old clunker Peugeot folder, and gave me a Peugeot Pacific (rebadged Birdy made for the Japan market) as a replacement. I got the bike cleaned up, and I have already put a hundred kilometers on it. I couldn't be happier.

I have been riding for a number of years, I did a bit of amateur road racing, and I did some time working as a bike mechanic. I've ridden all manner of bikes, and have always been happy when on 2 wheels. My "Birdy" is another addition to a very-long list of bikes which I have owned over the years, but it is by far among the most useful and fun.

When I came to Japan I brought 2 bikes with me, and old "bespoke" Gios road bike, and an old Schwinn Phantom. Both bikes are fun to ride, but few bikes are more convenient to own and use in Tokyo as folders are. I don't own a car, so if I want to ride in outlying places I have to take my bike with me on the train or bus.

So far I am very impressed by my Birdy. First, it's light weight makes it easier to carry, it is lighter than my old Dahon, and even lighter than my Panasonic Wing. It is quick to fold and unfold, and when folded it is quite compact.

I love how the Birdy rides and handles. It soaks up rough pavement and irregularities in the road, the handling is responsive, and I can adjust the riding position closely enough to mimic the position I use on my road bike. One the not-so-good side, the small wheels coast down more quickly than full size wheels, and though the bike is responsive, the smaller wheels somewhat limit maneuverability.

In order to get the bike roadworthy, I started by replacing the hardware and bushings, which were quite rusty. I found a titanium hardware kit at a local shop which included all the necessary parts. Next, I got rid of the original saddle, which was too soft, and I replaced it with a new Brooks B-17. The local TV/Camera/bike store for some reason had a set of XTR brake levers on sale, so I installed those tonight.

I looked at some ready-made wheels specifically designed for the BD-1 (what the Birdy is called in Japan), but decided they were overpriced. I ended up buying a set of hubs, rims, and spokes so I could build my own. I will pick up some tires next week, and hopefully I will get them finished up and installed in a week or two.

My bike is currently an 8 speed, but I will upgrade ton a 10 speed when I get the parts and time. I will go for a ride tomorrow to the Tokyo Sky Tree, then to Asakusa, and Ueno park. Then I will ride out to Shinjuku to buy another camera, and then out to Ikebukuro to pick up an 10 speed shifter and freewheel.

I'll post pics once I get it all together.

Last edited by Sangetsu; 02-28-11 at 05:31 AM.