View Single Post
Old 02-27-11, 11:13 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cod.peace
But the trend is to put 23mm tires on 23mm wide rims - see the Velocity A23 and Hed aluminum rims. The Synergy's could be used down to 23 mm, although at 255 lbs the OP would have to have those tires at really high PSI with a rough ride.
The trend for whom? Professional racers being followed by a team car full of spare wheels? Or Clydesdales?

My Synergy rims are 23mm wide. Having seen what a 700x28 looks like on them, I'd be frightened at the thought of trying to run a 700x23 on them! Then again, I wouldn't run a 700x20 on my 19mm ride rims.

Originally Posted by bassjones
I'll be running 700x25 on them. This is the recommendation from the wheel builder at the LBS where I got my bike. I can't run wider than a 25 on the CAAD9 frame.
I question the judgment of your wheel builder. Why would you want to take a wide rim and install a narrow tire on it? That sounds like a recipe for pinch flats and a harsh ride, to me. You'd probably be better off using a Deep V: it's slightly more aerodynamic than the Dyad, only a bit heavier, probably stronger, and a much better match for 700x25 tires, IMHO. If you decide you need the harsh ride and pinch flats, you can always switch to 700x20 tires...