View Single Post
Old 02-28-11, 12:45 PM
bartcycle

Bikes: Specialized Allez (Ultegra), Specialized Hard Rock sport dressed as hybrid, Royal antique kids bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuji86
I went with a Zefal set from Wal-Mart for under $ 20. Exceeds FL statutory requirements, Really only going to use it for those later PM rides, times I get caught a couple of miles from home after the sun has set. Or for the early AM rides and it's close enough for the sun to rise, yet hasn't, the 5 minute head start I call it. I think anyone riding in the middle of the night or well enough before and after sunrises & sunsets might be dealing with more drunk drivers ? My strategy for night riding, go slow, stay on sidewalks as much as possible, use side streets that are little to no traffic when possible too.
I had a Zefal set. The headlamp kept cutting off after a few months. I'm using the tail light now as a back up. It's pretty bright and has a cool blinky pattern. The bracket's kinda crappy, though and if the light falls or gets jarred realy hard pieces and batteries go flying everywhere.

Oh and be careful of sidewalks. Often shrubs and fences can hide you from cars exiting driveways, and them from you. In residential areas, you might also be wandering into the personal space of a territorial dog.