View Single Post
Old 03-01-11, 09:05 AM
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the reason I always wear very bright colors. Kind of forcing the motorists to see you. So many times in the summer I see cyclists wearing green jerseys which blend in with all the summer foilage. I usually wear reds and yellows and bright whites. The day I got clipped I was wearing a gray sweatshirt on an overcast morning. I also now have a small mirror on my helmet so I can see what is coming from behind because I don't want any more surprises. Also, I always look ahead when a car is approaching from behind and put myself in the drivers point of view to try to gauge the situation. Is there a car coming the other way? Is there a bend, a crest of a hill where they can't see over yet? Instead of staying on the left side of the white line like I see some cyclist do when cars approach I move over to the right of it as far as possible to make sure the driver has enough room to give me at least 3'. Then when they give me plenty of room or wait until I get over the crest of the hill or around the bend I thank them with a thank you wave. Of course there are just some complete arse wipes that have a pure hatred for cyclist out there or the driver that is just having a bad day and just doesn't give a crap and just buzzes you. I guess what I am saying is that I try to be more proactive when it comes to negotiating the roads with drivers. What this lady did is inexcusable but I have seen cyclist put themselves in bad situations with drivers(this is not a blaming the victim rant either, just posting what I have had success with since being clipped by the mirror several years ago).