View Single Post
Old 03-04-11, 12:11 AM
sunset1123

Bikes: Giant TCX 1 touring conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't write off drop bars completely just because of how they look. The primary reason most people are uncomfortable on drops is because the bars are simply too low for recreational use. I run my drops almost level with the saddle, and use wide bars with a shallow drop and a reasonable flare. For a long time mountain biker with a history of wrist issues, I'd have to say this is the most comfortable setup I've ever ridden. Flat bars make my hands go numb after a while.

My GF rides a Specialized Myka HT with a well swept flat bar with Ergon grips and bar ends. She likes it for her commute, but has hand numbness issues on longer rides too.

Something like a Specialized Crosstrail or a Giant Roam might be just the ticket. Either can be found at a ~$500ish price point. I haven't looked in a while, but check out Marin Bikes as well... they used to have some decent, low priced hybrid/casual-mountain-bike type offerings.

Most important is to find a shop or two that will let you spend some serious time trying on bikes and getting a good fit done without a 'hard sell'.