gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
One thing about all this is that the plan is multi-year. 100 miles a year for the first five years, then somewhat less. I wonder if this might be a better way to approach it. Lanes pop up stealthily and by the time the motorists get organized, the lanes are everywhere.
After reading today's NY Times, perhaps I should re-think this. New York's traffic commission is being attacked from all sides even though the city bike plan is to install only 670 miles of bike lanes. Apparently, after just 250 miles, she has adversaries all over the place. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/ny...nted=2&_r=1&hp

ON a balmy night last June, the city’s Congressional delegation gathered for dinner at Gracie Mansion. Representative Anthony D. Weiner, who aspires to live in the mansion someday, knew he would have only a few minutes with the host, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. So he brought up the hottest topic he could think of: bicycle lanes, and the transportation commissioner who had nearly doubled the number of them, Janette Sadik-Khan.

“When I become mayor, you know what I’m going to spend my first year doing?” Mr. Weiner said to Mr. Bloomberg, as tablemates listened. “I’m going to have a bunch of ribbon-cuttings tearing out your [expletive] bike lanes.”