Old 03-06-11, 02:21 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Who has pumped Gas as a job?

The thread about newspaper delivery got me thinking and wondering, "Who here had a job pumping gas? Like paper boys, gas station attendants are a vanishing breed. Yes, I know that the state of Oregon forbids self service gas pumps, but that will probably change this decade. Full service stations are really a thing of the past. So, who here has pumped gas? What was the best part of the rather smelly job, and what was the worst part?

My story: I pumped at a local Sunoco station for a summer and fall. Worst part: The few customers who pulled in who were always cheesed off at someone or something, and took it out on the pump jockeys. We had one old u-know-what who would ask you to check his oil. While you were under the hood of his Buick Electra, he would blow the horn. No, I'm not joking. Then, he'd sit there and chuckle.

Best part: Summer, and the very lovely young women would would pull in. Definitely offer to wash the windshield. Nice that they knew when I was sneaking a peek, and they didn't seem to care.