View Single Post
Old 03-08-11, 11:20 PM
ianstock

Bikes: Steyr-Daimler-Puch Vent Noir, Specialized Allez, Wilier Gerolsteiner, Ridley Crosswind (2), Wilier Izoard, Neuvation FC100, Mariposa Spirit tubing custom build, and a few beaters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Octalink, MegaExo and new Compact Crank

I have a circa 2002 Wilier Gerolsteiner team frame, with Dura Ace kit. (No the Italian body has not rejected the Japanese organs as my friends predicted.)

It has an Italian thread BB (no kidding) with Shimano Octalink splines. I want to put on a compact crank. I would be happy to get a non-Shimano crank set (FSA etc). Having built it up from scratch, I am comfortable changing parts.

I think the issue is that Shimano has patented the Octalink, so I can't put another brand on the existing BB. I could easily buy a complete after-market MegaExo CC and BB, but I think most of the standard kits available online (from Competitive Cyclist, Nashbar, etc) come with MegaExo BBs that have English thread.

A new Ultegra CC is about $400. Other than finding a used CC online, is there a relatively inexpensive way to get a compact crankset on this baby? I can't do Boone with the standard crank.

Thanks,

Ian