Old 03-09-11, 09:41 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by campbell3d
I bought a used 2010 GT SRS 1 bike frame, and it has a Dura Ace SM-FC7800P BB. I don't have any experience with press fit BBs and wanted to ask a few questions before I bought any tools that I really don't need (yet).

1. I noticed there is no inner shell between the cups? Is this normal?

2. If this is normal, I figured I'd keep them in the frame since it's relatively new. But if I were to remove them, has anyone ever removed them by tapping them out or do I need to buy the shimano bb13 tool to remove?

3. Lastly, if you've had experience, how long do the bearings last and how well do they perform?

Thanks!
Most of the questions concerning shells and spacers are well covered in the installation manuals that come with these things. Alternatively they are usually avalable as PDF references on the Shimano website at techdocs.shimano.com. I believe the technical service instruction you`re looking for is SI-0053A-001.

The proper tools for installing and removing any press-fit bearing or headset installation are highly suggested. Knocking out anything using a method that doesn`t keep the assembly straight risks deforming the metal and changing the tolerances. Bearing tolerances on oversized bearings are a problem already - you don`t want to look for trouble.

Haven`t had anything like this out there long enough myself to have any indication of durability. Performance is very subjective - real world performance isn`t noticably different from other top end installations, although thats just my own impression.