View Single Post
Old 03-12-11, 08:27 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by HPSFroadrunner
I do appreciate the advise, even those telling me I must be mad. I HAVE been down this road before, so I know what I am getting into. The trike is complete, and functional, so parts aren't NEEDED to make it work. We are trying to make it work BETTER.....

This forum seemed filled with people that build stuff, if for no other reason, than the helluvit. I thought I'd found a place that had people as willing to turn someone's trash into their treasure. There's tons of bikes/parts around here for the asking half the time. Most of which that will just end up taking up space in a landfill. Is it so wrong to want to stop that, and maybe have a little fun in the process?
As long as you realize what you are in for and that the expense may be significant, go for it.

What you found here is that there are frequent threads along the lines of; "I've got a (name cheap, trashed, rusted, obsolete, rare, unusual, etc. bike make and model) that I want to modernize with (name expensive 10-speed group) but my budget is only (name absurdly low figure) and I have no experience with bike mechanics. What should I do?" So, we tend to discourage this kind of project.

If the poster really does know what they are trying to accomplish and has a realistic idea of the cost and difficulty (or doesn't care), we're glad to help if we can.

Originally Posted by HPSFroadrunner
Can steal be welded to aluminum?
I assume you are asking about steel and the answer is no.