Old 03-13-11, 10:56 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Well, if we can get the bike for $600, you can upgrade the brakes to disk for about $75. The Xtracycle Hoodie isn't compatible (same problem as the Big Dummy, the frame is too high where the front of the hoodie comes down) so you'd need to get the Freeloader bags... that's $150. I'd probably make my own wideloaders from conduit, and a deck with a pad. Still, total outlay would be like $750 if you didn't upgrade anything, and that's not bad at all. I'm guessing the 2010 Freeloaders will work with the Sun's racks, but we'd have to see it in use to see if the straps would fit the slots in the Sun's deck.

Anxiously awaiting. I am seriously thinking about doing this. I don't need a race bike that only gets ridden once a week.
Keep in mind that the wideloaders have a snap-in feature that holds them in place: a spring loaded, rounded aluminum bolt that pops through a hole in the frame on both ends. Then you have to press the bolt in to pull the wideloader out. Kind of like the mechanism found on traditional umbrellas. That might be a bit difficult to DIY because of the spring. You'd need to find some alternative method to make sure the wideloaders stay in place.