Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bobonker
Hi All,

I've built up a few bikes now and have noticed that the shifting and braking seems to be be more precise when I used cable kits with metal ferrules (SRAM) vs kits with plastic ferrules (Jagwire).

I can see how plastic ferrules could potentially be more friendly to cable, but metal seems superior in terms of lack of compression.

Is it just the ferrules or is there more going on here?

I've done 3 bikes with Jaguar kits and 2 with SRAM kits. Whenever cutting a housing, I make sure that the end is squared off before installing a ferrule.

Thanks,
Bob
You`ve got me on the SRAM stuff - haven`t personally used any of their kits. But I have used Jagwire extensively and they have a good half dozen different METAL ferrules available as individual items or included in their better kits as part of the package. Jagwire also makes the goodies that Shimano uses (cabling and ferrules so that should be some indication that the stuff works well. Plastic ferrules usually go on the smaller diameter shifter housing where stresses are less, but its becoming increasingly common to find Jagwire Ripcord compressionless housing used for both brake and shifter applications and metal ferrules are available with a variety of specialized features - O-rings, extended necks etc.

If you`re doing a careful installation any quality cable kit will do an excellent job. I`m finding people are getting fussy about other things now: "Is this available in red?"