Old 03-16-11, 05:23 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
If you look at the specs on that bike, there's nothing wrong with it; pretty decent parts pick for the buck. AND, a 'beginning' rider won't be as likely to test the limits of the parts.

Sorry, but I stand by what I said. Get the bike.
The second bike he posted (the one with the Tora and Vanilla) is significantly nicer than the first (which is built around a Suntour 75mm fork and a Tuff Shock Coil whatever that means). Second one looks more along the lines of that Haro I posted up.

Also, you're the only one who mentioned pedal bob. I said in another topic I don't even use the lock-out on my suspension. Pedal bob isn't my concern with crappy suspension. My concern is the inability of the suspension to do its job. There's a big difference in the ride of a pretty much X-Mart quality suspension and even mid-level suspension. The difference is one acts as suspension, and the other...doesn't really.

Finally, the biggest factor that should go into the purchase is the fit of the bike. Doubtful the OP is going to find a decent FS at the bike shop for his original budget of sub-$600. Going online would work, if he had any idea how the bike would fit. Sometimes bikes just don't feel right, even when they should fit on paper. Especially since this is his first mountain bike, and he doesn't know what kind of geometry fits him best.